Saturday, July 2, 2016

A Vintage Jessie Wilcox Smith Crewel Embroidery Wall Art Print

One day when I made the bike ride to the hot neighborhood in Pittsburgh, PA, Lawrenceville, to to go the Busy Beaver, I decided to go back into Thrftique.  I found a few books there. When I left I decided to stop in the Goodwill thrift store next door.  Even though I had told myself I would only go to the Busy Beaver and not buy any more for my vintage Etsy shop ShoponSherman:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShoponSherman?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Of all the Goodwill I have been to in the Pittsburgh area the one in Lawrenceville is not one of my favorites.  It is small.  With a small section of wares.  And only cheap things displayed the few times I was in there.

But this day I looked behind the prints and there was this very nice one:

 
I could see it was obviously an old image, and I did not recognize the artist off-hand.  But I turned it over and it still has the Danbury Mint label and dated 1987.

I thought it would be a very nice vintage print for my Etsy shop.

After bringing it home and doing a quick search I learned about Jessie Wilcox Smith.  Even though I did sell a couple Easter plates with her image on them.

She was born in the 1860's and was a famous illustrator of books and magazines.  This image first appeared on the February 1910 issue of Good Housekeeping magazine.



My piece is actually embroidered:




All of it is in great condition.

I have just gotten it listed today:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/450321816/vintage-jessie-wilcox-smith-crewel?ref=shop_home_active_2

I like her work, and I will try to find more of them.  I will try to get a hold of some of her magazine covers.

I hope this very nice piece will find a home of someone who appreciates it.

Back to work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment