Sunday, August 3, 2014

Vintage Sharon Goodman abstract painting, the sun? the moon?

It was several years ago on one of my daily trips to the local Goodwill when I found 2 works by Sharon Goodman.  I did not know who she was at the time.  But the painting and the pencil signed print were priced right for me.




I brought them home and did some searching and saw that she is an artist from West Virginia.

I found her web site and sent her an email.  She wrote back and told me they were some of her early works and it was good to see them again. And wondered how they got where they did.  She told me her larger works about 40" x 40" sold for $4,000.

Here is a 2009 statement from a Fairmont State (WV) exhibit of Sharon's paintings:

"Abstract artist Sharon Goodman was born in 1941 in Detroit, Mich., and began studying art at age 14. Choosing to live and raise a family in Morgantown, where her husband, now retired, was a professor, Goodman graduated with an M.F.A. from West Virginia University in 1978. She studied printmaking under Will Petersen at West Virginia University and spent a year in Florence, Italy, studying early Renaissance art. Goodman works primarily with oil on paper and canvas, often in series and triptychs, creating paintings that range in size from 4" x 4" to 60" x 60." She also works in lithography, encaustic and glass.
Goodman has been the recipient of a West Virginia Fellowship for the Arts, through the National Endowment for the Arts, and numerous other awards. She has had over 20 solo exhibitions and been part of over 40 invitational and juried exhibitions. Sharon Goodman's work can be found in private collections throughout the U.S. and Europe, as well as in the permanent collections of West Virginia University and the University of Charleston. Her work has been represented by galleries in New York; Pittsburgh; Cleveland; Detroit; Tampa; Hagerstown, Md.; Rochester, N.Y.; and Morgantown.
Goodman's words describe her work and provide her artist's statement for the viewers: "My paintings are immediate and energetic. I want the motions of my hand to be apparent on the paper or canvas and add another dimension to the painting-a spontaneity that the viewer can feel. My work is inspired by movement and color. I have danced for many years, and movement and the body in motion inform my paintings. Nature also inspires my art, as in the curving of a leaf, the bending of a weed, or the color of rushes swaying by a pond.
"Although my paintings are not representational, I work in series that are grounded in elemental themes such as water, sky or earth, or in places I have been. I do not expect the viewer to identify these elements in my work, only to get a sense of what the titles imply. I want the marks, the color and shapes, the brush strokes and layers on the paper or canvas to be compelling to the viewer so that their sources need not be identified."
I have had it listed in my vintage Etsy shop for some time and that listing expired.  I have now relisted it.  I think it is a great work that should find a good home.

No comments:

Post a Comment