Sunday, December 6, 2015

"You should take up singing" Part 2

So my first experience with singing was when I was about 7 years old.

Every night my sister and I would kiss our parents goodnight as they were sitting at his bar.

I can't remember how I first sang something for him, but he asked me to sing The Lord's Prayer.  I don't remember his exact reaction or what he said, but it was positive.

Then another time, maybe days or a week or so after that, he asked me to sing The Lord's Prayer again, but I didn't want to.  I was scared.  And shy.  So he said he'd pay me $1 if I sang it.  I sang it for him and he gave me the dollar.

My dad passed away when I was 11, and that was the only time I sang at home.  Neither of my parents tried to help me to sing or encouraged me to.

My next time singing was at practice for our 8th grade recital.  Every year at our Catholic grade school each grade would sing in the gym.

At practice one day the music teacher had the kid in front of me sing a part.  Then she wanted me to try that part and I got scared and said no.

At the 8th grade performance in 1981 was the last time I sang.

In 7th and 8th grade as soon as I got home from school I'd go right to the stereo and put in Elvis 8-tracks and sing along for a couple hours.

More to come.....

Back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment