Saturday, April 9, 2016

A Vintage 1960's Mid Century Modern Dixie Dresser for the Bedroom

I have had a lot of success with mid century modern furniture in my vintage Etsy shop for the past 5 plus years.  And it was late last summer, the summer of 2015, when on one of my trips down to the nearby Goodwill after a day of working my garden job that I saw this set of high boy drawers.  When I saw the price on the tag, I wanted them!  Especially when I pulled open the first drawer and saw the Dixie label.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/104223895/vintage-1960s-dixie-mid-century-modern?ref=shop_home_listings



I browsed the rest of the store and bought some things, but did not buy the vintage piece of bedroom furniture.  But I kept thinking about them on the way home.



For the next 2 days I thought about the drawers and wanted them.  I decided to make the trip across the city to buy them!  What an experience it would turn out to be.

First when I went back into the Goodwill I was surprised the piece was still there.  But I took off the tag and bought it!


The next trick was getting them home.  I don't drive so I knew I would have to hire someone.  And with the price I paid I thought it was worth it.  Even though the top does have some scratches, wear and a slight gash:


I had to pick the vintage piece up in 2 days and it took me until the night before to get someone.  Most people wanted too much for the job.  But I found a guy who sounded like a good guy and honest who would meet me there the next morning.


I had told him I thought the piece would fit in his SUV, but when we went to load it, it was too wide.  So that started the process of figuring out how to get it loaded.

I ran over to Home Depot and bought some rope.  We were going to take out the drawers and tie it to his roof:


We got it loaded and drove home, and on the drive I thought we had a good talk.  He was a nice guy, a dj, and he told me some interesting things about his work.

When we finally made it home, I paid the guy a little extra for the extra work he put in to get the piece loaded.  He appreciated it and I told him I'd call him if I needed him again.

I got pics taken and got it listed in my vintage Etsy shop.  And it has been pretty popular.  Not as popular as other 1960's pieces I've had in my shop, but I think that is because people might be sorting by price from lowest to highest, and mine isn't near the lowest.

It was an experience to buy it, get it home and list it.  But I am glad I did.  I feel it has brought people into my shop at least.

I will see what happens with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment