Saturday, April 9, 2016

A Vintage Nude Female Reclining Done in Cast Paper

The local Goodwill on the North Side of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania was having a lot of great items in the store and the quality went down around 2008-09, as you would expect.

But one of the finds I was very surprised to see when I walked in was this large framed piece of cast paper art that is also signed on the back:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/107772552/rare-female-nude-art-framed-cast-paper?ref=featured_listings_row



It is a 3-D relief image and I believe it is the artist's rendering of the classic painting "Venus at Her Mirror" from 1600's by the Spanish artist Valasquez:


 
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rokeby_Venus





I looked the framed art over and it was in great condition.  So I carried it home.

The work is by the artist 'Copper' and titled 'Classic Repose'.  A sign to me that it is based upon the painting of Venus:


It has been very popular in my vintage Etsy shop, and also on Twitter.
I like having it in my shop for that reason alone.  And I also admire it as a work of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment