Thursday, April 10, 2014

An Etsy Forum Thread about Google image search redirecting buyers on Etsy

I am unable to post on the Etsy forums because I am banned from them. One of the reasons is for calling a guy a communist in one of the Obamacare threads.

I just found this thread about Etsy images on Google image searches redirecting the searcher to other similar items. Instead of the actual listing:



https://www.etsy.com/teams/7718/questions/discuss/14266135/page/1

I like what one seller, Erin, said on page 17:

" My husband does this for a living. Etsy has created pages that are being crawled by Google (search pages that can be changed to not be crawled). Etsy is hoping that you, as a shopper, are going to easily forget the image you clicked on by taking you to their "popular search images".

This is very easily rectified, but won't be by Etsy. They will continue to tell you that they don't have anything to do with this, but they do.

How I shop... I find an image I like, I click on it and if it takes me to that page, I buy it or I don't. However, I can tell you that if I click on the image and it takes me to an Etsy "popular search page" I leave. I leave and I give to craps less about that search. I don't buy from Etsy or anyone else that pulls that crap on me.

Etsy won't care if you're that kind of shopper because so many shoppers are easily distracted from their original search. That's what they are banking on by making those search pages, those "popular search pages" crawl-ab;e by google, they're hoping you don't care about that original item and that you just buy from them.

Etsy is definitely doing this, but they aren't going to admit to it. My husband does this for a living. He's researched it. It isn't just a natural thing that happens, they have done this.

Sure, they'll do whatever feels "right" for their business, but to let them pretend they didn't know this would happen is simply lying to you.

Yes, mute me now."

This is probably a major reason for my loss in Google views since last fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment