Thursday, May 30, 2013

Vintage 1940's Gladys Emerson Cook cats drawing, antique cat art

One of my great finds was a pair of Gladys Emerson Cook cat sketches.  4 or 5 years ago I had gone to the flea market in the park right down the street from my house on a saturday morning and as I approached the tables where an older lady and her husband were selling I saw she had what looked like cat prints leaning against the tree.  I thought maybe I'd buy them for a friend I do work for.  She loves cats.  As I got near the prints the lady said, "They're sketches". That definitely raised my interest.  I saw that they both were signed, but I didn't recognize the name.  She told me her price for the pair and I couldn't believe it.  She said, "I'd take less, but that's what I paid for them.". So I got them for that incredible price.

Once I got them home and looked up the artist I realized what I had.  And I saw one in a gallery in the UK for over $3,000. And I saw a post in which a lady said that Gladys Emerson Cook dog sketches sell in NY galleries for over $2,000.

It turned out that my pair of Gladys Emerson Cook cats was featured on the cover of her 1940's book "Cat and Kittens" and the single cat sketch was featured on the inside of the same book. Wow. What a deal.

I've had them in my shop this year and have gotten some favorites. But not as many as  I thought they'd get.  I still love them and I might even have them priced too low:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/85460211/antique-1940s-cat-art-vintage-gladys?ref=shop_home_active   .




It is good to see that my google views are higher today. I have over 80 from Google near 10 pm.  Etsy search views are ok.  I did make a couple small sales. If I didn't sell tea cups I really woudn't sell much at all.

It has been an ok day. Tomorrow is back to the grounds keeping job.  Then the weekend and see what I can accomplish.  I am looking forward of taking pics of the jewelry I get and also the beautiful Royal Stafford blue & gold tea cup, saucer and plate set trio I got in the mail today. Wow. It's great. And what a steal for a price, too.

Almost time for bed..

No comments:

Post a Comment